Welcome to my Place

Hi everyone,

I hope you will enjoy my place and my photos, I am looking forward to visits from friends, old and new.

Please respect the copyright on my photos. Thank you.

Sunday 3 October 2021

A lovely walk around Sandwich in August


Back in August I went to Sandwich just to have a wander around. I parked in the main car park and made my way up to the Ropewalk, and walked along to the main road. 


Having crossed the road the path is now called The Rope Walk. The tree above is leaning over the Delf Stream which used to provide all the water for Sandwich Town.


For some reason the phone box has been covered in fake grass, no idea why!


Looking down onto Millwall Place,


and the lovely lawn of the Bowling Club.


Walking along the Mill Wall in the direction of the Quay and the River Stour, it was so lovely and peaceful along there :)


On the Quay, the new Medieval Centre, where they are building a Medieval Boat, shown in the photo below.


The boat is coming along nicely :)


The Fisher Gate, now a scheduled monument and the only remaining town gate of the five original town gates. It was built in 1384, the upper part of the building dates from 1578. The building used to house a portcullis, which is long gone. 


Taken from the bridge crossing the River Stour, looking down river in the direction of the sea.


Taken from the bridge again, looking up river.


The lovely Chanter's House on Strand Street. The building next to this was part of The Sandwich Weavers, and was the lovely Public Library where I worked  until the 'new' Library was opened in Market street in 1973


Behind the Chanter's House are the remains of this wonderful Medieval Building


The building is reported to have been a Chapel or 'Chantry' and was built in 1250, when the buildings on Strand Street fronted the River.


Behind the Chanter's House looking towards Strand Street.


Above and below is the lovely 'hidden' garden attached to St. Peter's Church. This area was once the South aisle of the Church but in 1661 this part of the Church collapsed.


I spent many happy lunch times in this lovely little garden, during the time I spent working in the Library :)


The entrance to St. Peter's Church  looking through the building to the secret garden beyond.


St Peter's is a redundant Church, many lovely events are held there, including coffee mornings, craft events, book sales and an Annual Christmas Tree event :)


Finally after my lovely walk around the town I had a coffee sitting in the square in front of The Guildhall. I had a lovely walk, Sandwich is a very special little town :)

No comments:

Post a Comment