Welcome to my Place

Hi everyone,

I hope you will enjoy my place and my photos, I am looking forward to visits from friends, old and new.

Please respect the copyright on my photos. Thank you.

Thursday 21 January 2016

Ightham Mote, Sevenoaks, Kent Part 2



The upstairs hallway.

Following on from the last blog, the inside of Ightham Mote is as lovely and as interesting as the outside. The whole place is beautifully furnished, and it is very easy to imagine living there.


The wonderful Great Hall



There are a lot of beautiful carvings throughout the building, in stone and in wood, and each room has its own character.


This fellow is still smiling, even if it looks an uncomfortable pose!


Another smiling fellow, I am not sure how old these carvings are, but they are lovely.


The 'W' carved into the fire surround was carved there to ward off witches.

We had a great time wandering through the house, and I was very pleased that photography was allowed. All the staff we met going round were lovely, especially the gentleman in the Chapel, whom we spent a long time chatting to, it was him who told us about the 'W' carved into the fire surround.



A statue in the 14th century Crypt.


Stone tiled floors and oak doors everywhere :)




I love the expression on this face!


Everywhere there are lovely things to look at :)





One of the many stained glass windows.


A  small section of the painted Barrel Vaulted ceiling in the Tudor Chapel. It is simply beautiful :)


Beautiful hand painted 18th century Chinese wallpaper
in the Drawing Room.
 

Wonderful carved Newell Posts.



I would love a Library like this one, it is so pretty :)


Finally a beautifully carved cabinet :)

I hope you have all enjoyed the visit to Ightham Mote, if ever you get the chance to visit please do, it is well worth it :)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful place. Living in Australia - a very young country - but with a very English (Edwardian) father, I grew up with tales of places like this. Maybe one day..................! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the posts Liz, and thank you for leaving a comment. It is great to know my blog is being read from as far away as Australia :)

      Delete