Welcome to my Place

Hi everyone,

I hope you will enjoy my place and my photos, I am looking forward to visits from friends, old and new.

Please respect the copyright on my photos. Thank you.

Tuesday 1 November 2016

Sandwich Churches, St. Mary's


St Mary's Church is situated on Strand Street, it is probably the oldest Church site in Sandwich, having been built on the site of a Convent which was on this spot in the 7th Century. It now a redundant church, which is very successfully used as an Arts Centre, with events which include concerts, the towns Folk Club, the monthly town Auction, and the venue is also used for Wedding receptions and Fairs. 


The lovely open space in the church, showing part of the wonderful ceiling.


Just one of the colourful stained glass windows.


Another view of the interior of the church, showing what a lovely open space it is.
  

I wonder how old this amazing chest is?


Lovely carving on this, I am not sure if this was part of the church at some time.


I love this wall with its memorials.


Near to the wall with the memorials is this, very intriguing hole...
the straight line down the centre of this is actually part of a narrow pillar.


In the hole if you look closely this is what you can see, a hidden piece of carving, I wonder if it is medieval, or Norman and why is it tucked inside a hole in the wall? 


Part of the original Norman Church can still be seen, maybe  this carving was part of the original building. I found this quite by accident, but I am glad that I did look very carefully into the hole!


A very worn tablet on the wall, no date that I could see.


This beautiful church has seen many disastrous events throughout its history, including being damaged by French attacks in 1217, and again in 1457. It was also a casualty of an earthquake in 1578, and the central tower collapsed in 1667. 


The 15th Century font, filled with beautiful flowers.


The floor is worth looking at, my friend and I think there is a figure in the photo below, or is it just marks from where there was once a hinge?




A very lopsided arch :)


Another wall tablet commemorating two Church Wardens, dated 1671.


The Church as seen from Church Street St. Mary, showing the  tower over the South porch, which is topped by a wooden belfry built in 1718.


A beautiful robin in the Churchyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment