Welcome to my Place

Hi everyone,

I hope you will enjoy my place and my photos, I am looking forward to visits from friends, old and new.

Please respect the copyright on my photos. Thank you.

Saturday 13 May 2017

St Thomas a Becket Church, Fairfield, Kent.



In the middle of a field, surrounded by dykes is Fairfield Church, between Brenzett and Brookland on Walland Marsh, which is part of Romney Marsh in Kent.


Looking towards the Altar, showing the Georgian box pews on either side of the aisle. The two tier pulpit can be seen on the left.


The Altar table.


Looking towards the two tier pulpit again, and a better view of the box pews.

Walland Marsh was reclaimed from the sea centuries ago, the original church dates from c1200, and was at that time intended as a temporary structure, made of wattle and daub, which served the long lost village which was sited there. The original building was encased with bricks in the 18th century. The village and Church are marked as Fayrefelde on a map dated prior to 1595.


Photos of the beautiful roof.


One of the ceiling plaques.


The building was fully renovated in 1912, however the interior was not touched, leaving the wonderful Georgian box pews as they were.


Looking towards the back of the Church, showing the seven sided font.


The door in the centre of this photo is the main entrance to the Church.


This photo and the one above were taken from the two tier pulpit, even though the congregation were in the box pews the Vicar was able to see everyone :)

Although both my husband and I knew of the Church, we were unsure of its exact location, but, although is it a little way off the main road, it is fairly easy to find, and well worth visiting!




The door is not very water tight..

The Church is accessed by a causeway across a field, after collecting the original key from a house nearby.


I love this photo, it seems to capture the feeling of the isolation of the Church. My husband can be seen on the left, walking back to the car across the field, and just out of the photo to the right are the sheep who live here!


A wonderful little Church, I am pleased we visited it :D

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, Val...I wish we had been able to visit. I used a picture of this church when I posted A Smuggler's Tale on one of my blogs...and I remember the flatness and the thousands of sheep when we went down to Camber two or three years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi, it really is a gorgeous Church, I am glad that we had the chance to have a look round :D

      Delete