Welcome to my Place

Hi everyone,

I hope you will enjoy my place and my photos, I am looking forward to visits from friends, old and new.

Please respect the copyright on my photos. Thank you.

Thursday 20 August 2020

Bobbin Lace Making - the equipment and bobbins

Following on from the last blog, these bobbins and equipment have been collected over a number of years. I can drool over lace bobbins for a long time!! 


Midland bobbins complete with Spangles - the ring of beads are to add weight to the bobbins and to stop them rolling around whilst making the lace. The two bobbins at the bottom of the photo are known as 'Mother and Baby' as there are tiny bobbins in the shank. These are all bone bobbins.


My present block lace pillow, made for me by my lovely husband. The wooden roller is for winding lengths of lace on to keep it clean. It is made from a piece of Lignum Vitae, again made for me by my husband :)


Pin cushion edged with lace, both made by me a long time ago! the pin cushion is stuffed with unwashed sheeps wool and iron filings. The uunwashed sheeps wool contains  lanolin, and the iron filings help to keep the brass pins sharp and shiny :) I have to admit I have washed this a few times so probably the lanolin is long gone, but my pins are rust free and nice and sharp :)


My lovely bobbin winder, these are no longer made, I am so pleased I got this when I did :)


Another view of the bobbin winder.


Once the bobbins are wound, I hang them on this bobbin holder (again made by my lovely husband)  until needed to start the pattern


Lots of wound bobbins ready to start a new piece.


The pricking (pattern) - I photocopy the pricking, cut it to shape, glue it to thin card (pricking card) and cover it with matt blue film. Using a needle in a holder I prick each hole in the pricking. The needle is pushed into the beeswax every few pricks to help the needle go through the card.


As you can see I use a simple cork mat to do my prickings, I do pin the pricking to the board to do this!


The pricking attached to the pillow, and some pins in place. I fact I didn't finish this piece, it is a fan, I will go back to it and try again soon :)

On to the bobbins :)


All lacemakers love bobbins, most of these are bone, gathered over quite a few years. I do have a large number of wooden bobbins too, I think I have about 600 bobbins all together, but the bone ones always get used first!!


The two wooden bobbins in this photo are holding the gimp thread, which runs round the motifs in some laces to give definition.








The top bobbin in this photo is an antique one, it gives me real pleasure using old bobbins, to know that a lacemaker maybe used them over a hundred years ago is very special :)


A modern lace makers lamp, the flask is filled with water, placed in the lamp, when the candle is lit it shines through the water to give a pool of light. The candle can be raised and lowered to get the flame shining through the water. I have used this and it does work, I didn't want to fill the flask with water now, as it is difficult to get it dry, and is very delicate. With two cats in the house I decided to explain how it works rather than show it in action.



This is the lace I am working on right now, for years I only did bits of lace, but thanks to the Lockdown and the fact that I am now retired I am thoroughly enjoying the continuation of my 'Lace Journey' and I am thrilled that this craft is still alive and well, and there are new lacemakers coming along all the time.



Happy Lacemaking everyone :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you its fascinating I've been learning for about 8 years now.

    ReplyDelete